Saturday, January 9, 2010

Portrait Photography Course - The way he sees himself

I have totally neglected my Portrait Photography Class. It isn't necessarily a bad thing, I was making good choices. Although it was hard for me to let go, I needed to with too much on my plate. Coming Tuesday is our last class and I am not sure if I will be going. I am still 2 assignments short so I am not sure there is a point to going if I can't bring any work.

Either way, I did accomplish our third assignment. Mine turned out pretty gross. Sorry about that. It is what I wanted it to be. And it wasn't easy, being in a slaughter house and not eating too much meat and all.

The assignment: Find out the way your models sees himself. Or find out his dreams, what would he be if he wasn't what he became? Well, that were hard questions for my model. Boer Piet is just very content with his life. He has no dreams, never had them. I know it's hard to believe that but believe me, I interviewed him for a long time, and interviewing is my job. He did mention that if he wasn't a farmer, he would probably sell meat one way or the other. And so I took him to the abbatoir, a place where he takes his animals to be slaughtered... it was quite the experience. I loved it. Although I am not such a meat eater and the smell of death and blood was in my nose for weeks, I always love seeing and learning new things, and this was so new to me.

The Contact Sheets. As you can tell I tried different areas in the slaughter house. And as often happens, what I had in mind first came out best. I didn't even print out the others. It wasn't what I wanted.





And my picks



1 comment:

  1. Hi Maddy,

    I just had to say that I love vertical the image in the slaughter house where the body is in the foreground in focus and the man is blury!

    It is very strong visibly and also makes a nice statement. I see it as something to the effect of how humans blind themselves to the process in order to live with it.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Gretch

    ReplyDelete